Following her New York appearance, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling was interviewed on Charlie Rose to discuss her new novel, The Casual Vacancy. She talked not only about the novel, but also her phenomenally successful Harry Potter series and writing.
Here’s a full recap from MuggleNet:
On the Harry Potter series:
- Rowling revealed that she misses Dumbledore the most and if she could talk to one character from her books, it would be the Headmaster.
- She struggled writing Chapter 13: Mad-eye Moody from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and had to re-write the chapter many times in order to properly hide the necessary clues within the text.
- While Rowling stated that she really wishes her mother would be alive to say to her “Look at what I did!”, she also realizes that if her mother had not passed away, theHarry Potter books would have been very different.
- The only character from the Harry Potter series who perfectly resembles the actor or actress was Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood. Everything about Evanna was perfect, from her look to her voice.
- Gary Oldman brought more to the character of Sirius Black than what was written in the novels and she really liked that.
On her new novel The Casual Vacancy:
- The idea for the novel came to her while she was on a plane in the United States during the promotional tour for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- The title for her adult novel was originally coined Responsibility, but was later changed to The Casual Vacancy when she came across the term while researching for the book.
On writing in general:
- J.K. Rowling stated that she always carries around two separate notebooks with her wherever she goes. One notebook is for the Children’s Book she is working on, which was recently reported to be the next book released from her. The second notebook is for another book for adults that she is working on.
- While this may be an obvious statement, Rowling revealed that she really likes to write about adolescence characters in her books.
Thanks to our friends at MuggleNet for the tip and recap.